COVID-19 Vaccines are rolling out to the Stoney Nakoda community
January 13, 2021 – Small batches of COVID-19 vaccines have started arriving for the Stoney Nakoda community. These vaccines will be distributed in a phased distribution schedule (detailed below) as determined by Alberta Health Services.
Stoney Tribal Council Chiefs and administration have been in dialogue with provincial health officials to discuss the rollout and secure vaccines for the community.
- Health-care workers in intensive care units
- Staff in long-term care and designated supportive living facilities
- Home care workers
- Health-care workers in emergency departments
- All residents of long-term care and designated supportive living, regardless of age
- Health-care workers in COVID-19 units, medical and surgical units, and operating rooms
- Paramedics and emergency medical technicians
Health care professionals are at a high risk of contracting and spreading COVID-19 to patients, each other and within the community. We will vaccinate Stoney Health Services staff to ensure that they are protected and can better serve the health and wellness needs of Stoney Nakoda members.
- As soon as vaccines arrive, Stoney Nakoda elders and seniors 65+ will be contacted and invited to get vaccinated.
- Vaccines are not mandatory and it is the choice of each person to get vaccinated.
- Stoney Health Services will provide guidance to ensure each person has the necessary information to make an informed decision for their family.
Vaccine distribution is limited by supply. The Stoney Nakoda community will be informed as the vaccine distribution plan unfolds. More details in the coming weeks.